Sonntag, 6. Januar 2013

London, Oh precious London! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.




Two years have already passed since I enjoyed the good sides of life in England's beautiful capital. Autumn and winter are said to be very rainy and grey on the British Isles. Yet, I call myself lucky having experienced the exact opposite. No doubt the chilly weather and the glacial wind also caught my bones back then, but the sun always smiled upon London's roofs, giving me a more pleasant winter-feeling. Just recently, I received a beautiful souvenir from a friend who spent the last months in England. Holding a cute pruse, made out of fuchsia and golden-hued fabric, filled with a rose flavoured hand crème and a 'gorgeous' little mirror, my thoughts travel secretly away from the here and now back to the time in London, where I obviously left a part of my heart. An instant feeling mixed  of hospitality, kindness, fun and excitement comes across me.

What makes London so special? Just observe how people live and love there and you will get your answer. Taking the tube and later the bus for the first time made me realize that hospitality and random kindness do not only live in the sunny states of the globe. Several men helped carrying my suitcases, other people in the bus start asking me about my plans and where I just came from and even the bus driver wished me a pleasant stay in the great city on the Thames. "What a warm reception" I thought. Looking out of the window and observing the yet unusual right-hand driving I was wondering how the family I'd stay with would be like. Even two years later I cannot couch in terms how nice, kind, generous and polite they were and still are. Again, I call myself blessed for ending up with such a lovely family - every one of them is an incredible person on their own way. I felt like home from the first moment, I will never forget all the good they gave me and honestly, I think I miss them most when I recall my time in London. In a country where I knew no single soul, I was blessed having a person near me who treated me like a daughter (Merci Khale Jun, to bera: ye men kheili azizi, hezaran bueh mi arzi). I would never have expected to fall in love with the people I was staying with, and now, two years later, I am as grateful as back then, and more.

The first days quickly passed just as fast as the city is rushing every day. London never sleeps and to keep up with the rhythm of the city's heart beat you're obliged to adapt and take part. Some might say that's not really a good thing while others argue that it's just the impulsive and vivid environment one has to flow with. Energy is everywhere, young and opened minds are gathered at one place melting with royal present and history. Cultures, traditions and religions from all over the world settling together from east to west and north to south; from zone one to six, evolving  in England's heart. Immigration, integration, multilingualism and cultural richness are confronted with 21st century's modernity, futurism and technology. Equality runs through the air: fully covered ladies and funky Fashionistas share seats in London's public transportation while people from every cultural background occupy any kind of public work. Every day I entered University I loved seeing the peaceful diversity: an elderly man, wearing a bright turban was responsible for the Campus Cafeteria and a beautiful woman wearing Hijab helps international students with finding and applying for a job. This diversity might be the most outshining aspect about London's beauty.
 
Walking through Soho’s narrow alleys or while taking a cozy  longish-walk through Hyde Park one can still feel the living inspiration of Oscar Wilde, Blake and Shakespeare.  The royal spirit is embedded into the city’s flair like a transparent but sparkling dust lying above London’s skyscrapers, castles and bridges, shining like stars down on Europe’s never sleeping metropolis. If there is one quote about London which is widely known it’s definitely Samuel Johnson’s:

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Amen, to that.








1 Kommentare:

So what did you do this time in London? Just visiting old friends? Also when were you there?

matthias

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Categories

Pages - Menu